Friday, April 17, 2015

Canine Flu

Looks like a little angel, doesn't he?

There is a vicious canine flu outbreak in Chicago, with over 1,000 dogs affected. Some have died. Because of the proximity to that area, Indianapolis has had this on the news. I have read conflicting reports about the vaccine. First, there isn't one, and second, it is now out of stock. So not sure what to believe.

Going to do what I always do: ask questions. Your dog(s) is at risk if you use a dog park or doggie day care, and we use both. If there is something I can do to keep my two dogs healthy, then I will do it. The vet will be called, and I will pass along whatever information I get. A word of caution. The vets are not always up to date on what is actually happening with the dogs in your area. When I insisted on a blood test for Lyme's disease 18 months ago, and that both dogs be vaccinated (this is expensive if you are considering), the vet was surprised. She had not heard of Lyme's in the area or in the state. It was rare at that time for the test to be done, or the vaccine to be administered. The best way to stay informed is to network with other pet owners. I explained to the vet that a friend had lost her Newfie to Lyme's. (see any tags for Coal). As a result there were about 10 of us from the dog park that started with the Lyme's vaccine.

Look at that face. Dogs trust us to lead them, to love them, take care of their needs. In return, we get nothing but loyalty and love.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment