Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What happened to Spring?

I was the good dog. For once.

You yelled at me. My feelings are hurt.
You enjoy a few days of temperatures in the upper 50's and 60's, and think, YEAH! We are done with winter. Then winter turns around and kicks you in the ass. It is cold, grey and damp. The type of weather that makes my bones feel like I should just step in front of a semi.

With the nicer weather, we went to the dog park. On Sunday, there was another dog owner with a young Corgi. Cutest little guy, so full of happiness. This was not our first encounter, so I thought Jake would be a gentleman. I was wrong. We had been at the  park for over an hour when the Corgi entered. Jake decided this would be a good dog to pick on. Poor little guy was terrified, especially when Gracie is running circles, barking like a fool. Neither dog would listen, so I ran towards the gate, knowing they wouldn't want to be left. It worked and they followed. A discussion on manners was held in the car on the way home. I know. Doesn't do a damn thing for them, but put my thoughts in order.

Yesterday afternoon we tried the park again. This time we had it to ourselves, but before I could wear them out it started to sleet and rain so we had to come home. Evidently it was just enough of a tease to make Frick and Frack feisty, because we went through 15 minutes of running and barking in the back yard. I try to keep the barking to a minimum due to complaints, so I was at the back door telling them to "leave it". Gracie knows that tone of voice from mom, and she sat down and behaved. Little Shit, also known as Jake, blew me off. Yeah, it's spring and I know that has something to do with it. But he wasn't giving me a glance, and I became aggravated in a second. Enough bad behavior is enough. When His Royal Highness finally decided to come to the door and enter the house, I walked him into the living room and put him in a "sit", then "all the way down". And in a very deep, stern voice told him he was a bad dog. His ears went down, tail down, and he put his head on his paws. Did not move out of that position for 10 minutes. He also knew, by instinct, that last night was too soon for an apology, and sat politely at the bedroom door, waiting for an invitation.

The old adage about you can't teach an old dog new tricks is bullshit. At least once a year we go back to basic training, and I fully intend to do that again starting today. A mom's got to do what a mom's got to do.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment